If you’re as interested in birthstones as we are, you may be aware that amethyst is this month’s stone.
Believed to symbolise protection, humility, modesty, and security, amethyst is also known for calming of the mind and spirit, and protecting against insomnia and nightmares.
Here are 5 fascinating facts about Amethyst:
- Amethyst is said to have many natural superpowers; bringing luck, protecting against magic and homesickness.
2. The name literally means “not intoxicated” – its name translates from the Greek word améthystos as it was also worn as an amulet against drunkenness and overindulgence.
3. Amethyst is found on all continents, with larger deposits currently being mined in Brazil, Uruguay, Zambia and Australia. The largest global producer is Brazil.
4. Amethyst jewelry has been found as far back as 2000 BC, popular amongst royalty and religious figures – not surprisingly, with purple being the associated color of royalty. Amethyst was frequently used in crowns and scepters.
5. Amethyst was also used by soldiers during war in ancient times due to the belief in its powerful and protective nature. Ancient Egyptians wore jewellery with amethyst to protect against guilty and fearful feelings, as well as protection from witchcraft.
Our highlight piece this month is the striking Captivating Amethyst Ring with futuristic square geometry and the incredible amethyst stone.